Efforts must be made to prevent seed maturation and dispersal of plants into new areas. Additionally, no transportation, propagation, or sale of these plants is allowed. Failure to comply may result in enforcement action by the county or local municipality. Minnesota Noxious Weed Law.
Leafy spurge is native to Eurasia and has become widespread throughout the United States. It was introduced to Minnesota in 1890 as seed in a bushel of oats from Russia. By 1992, it was estimated that there were 800,000 infested acres in the central, northern, and western parts of the state, in addition to the Twin Cities area. In response, approximately 9 million leafy spurge beetles (Aphthona lacertosa) were released at over 2,000 sites in Minnesota from 1994 to the present as a biological control. Biological control with the beetles has been overwhelmingly cost-effective and successful at greatly reducing infestations at most sites. The use of beetles to control spurge continues to be a collaborative effort with public and private land managers, County Agricultural Inspectors, and the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA).
- Leafy spurge is a perennial plant with greenish-yellow flower bracts.
- Most leafy spurge plants flower in May and June, although mowed stems may flower later.
- The leaves are simple and opposite with a blue-grey hue.
- If the stems or leaves are cut, a distinctive white, milky sap exudes. One plant can send up clusters of multiple stems that arise from the same underground root system.
- The plant reaches a maximum height of about 4 feet.
Leafy spurge is an invader of pastures, grasslands, prairies, and roadsides. It grows in full to part sun in a wide range of soil types, from dry to moist.
Means of spread and distribution
Each plant can produce large clumps of shoots from extensive underground stems and roots allowing the weed to overtake other vegetation quickly. In addition, leafy spurge also produces seed that explodes from the seedpods and can travel up to 20 feet. The seed is durable and can remain viable up to 10 years. Leafy spurge can disperse by wildlife, wind, water, vehicles, contaminated soil and hay. Disturbances such as road construction create opportunities for leafy spurge to spread along roadways and into agricultural and natural areas.
Leafy spurge is distributed across the northern half of the United States. Northwestern states have long battled vast infestations. Leafy spurge is reported in all Minnesota counties with the largest infestations in western Minnesota.
Once a stand of leafy spurge becomes established, it reduces pasture or grassland productivity. If leafy spurge is present in a hayfield, the hay cannot be cut and moved, resulting in economic loss. Infestations can displace native plants and reduce wildlife habitat.
Prevention and management
- Prevent the spread of seed on equipment such as mowers by cleaning the equipment after working in an infested area. Using a broom to brush seed off a mower deck is an inexpensive way to reduce seed movement from infested areas. Make sure that seed is not moving on vehicles, in tire tread or on boot soles. Do not move infested hay. To manage leafy spurge, infestations need to be monitored and treated until the seedbanks and resprouts are depleted.
- Mowing before flowering can reduce seed production. Repeated mowing throughout the season is required to cut resprouts. Mowing alone will not eliminate these infestations; in fact, it can actually increase their densities. Mowing can be beneficial when used several weeks prior to herbicide applications to increase herbicide contact with resprouting foliage.
- Repeated herbicide applications during the early spring and fall result can effectively reduce spurge. If you plan to use herbicide treatments, check with your local University of Minnesota extension agent, co-op, or certified landscape care expert for assistance and recommendations.
- Biological control is an option for reducing large infestations. Long-term studies consistently demonstrate the reliability of spurge beetles to reduce large, stable infestations. Biological control is not effective at sites with disturbance such as flooding, construction, mowing and overgrazing. The MDA, in cooperation with the Minnesota Association of County Agricultural Inspectors, oversees a statewide biological control program for this noxious weed that is free of charge to landowners. To learn more about biological control, contact the MDA or your County Agricultural Inspector.
- Goat and sheep grazing can reduce leafy spurge. Allow time for seed to pass through their systems before moving them to uninfested areas. The animals can also move seed on their coats and hooves.
Leafy spurge is toxic to cattle and horses. These animals avoid leafy spurge unless no other forage is available.
Leafly Announces 2021 Cannabis Strain of the Year
SEATTLE–( BUSINESS WIRE )–Leafly Holdings, Inc. (“Leafly”), one of the world’s leading cannabis discovery marketplaces and resources, today announced Dosidos as the 2021 Leafly Strain of the Year. The Leafly Strain of the Year is an annual honor bestowed upon a cannabis strain that demonstrated breakthrough market impact among the more than 5,000 strains in the Leafly strain database.
As one of the most visited online cannabis destinations with more than 125 million visitors expected this year, Leafly editors select the annual Leafly Strain of the Year based on a combination of data including search trends, online traffic, and menu availability, as well as expert and editorial analysis across the cannabis industry from breeders, growers, and retailers.
Dosidos emerged as the 2021 Leafly Strain of the Year thanks to the notable trajectory of this strain, which has risen in search traffic 10% year over year to crack Leafly’s Top 20 most viewed strains nationwide for the first time in 2021. This demand from consumers is supported by wide acclaim from cannabis breeders, growers, and other industry experts, who cite Dosidos’ gorgeous look, high-yield growth, and OG pedigree as reasons for the strain’s emergence as a staple of the $18.3 billion legal industry.
Dosidos, also known as “Dosi,” is a hybrid strain originating from Portland, Oregon cannabis seed bank Archive Seeds, who crossed renowned types of OG Kush and GSC to create Dosidos. Since the popularization of the strain in 2016, Dosidos has parented several other influential strains such as Dosi Punch and Moonbow, and Dosi or its related strains have placed at major cannabis contests every year since.
Popular amongst medical and adult-use cannabis consumers alike, Leafly visitors report Dosi can help with sleep, anxiety, and pain relief while delivering both mental and body relaxation. With its unique lavender and bright green leaves covered in a heavy dusting of glittering trichomes rich in limonene, Dosi delivers out-of-the-bag delight with its earthy, pungent taste and sweet aroma.
“Wine Spectator knows wine. Spotify knows music. Leafly knows cannabis. When you see a Leafly Strain of the Year, you’re meeting a fresh inductee into the cannabis Hall of Flame. Dosidos’ glittering bag appeal, rowdy smell, and dizzying high will spin around and sit down anyone—from the jaded cannasseur to the jubilant canna-novice,” said David Downs, a Leafly editor.
The annual Leafly Strain of the Year ranking recognizes the industry’s best—and amplifies the biggest trends in cannabis. After Runtz was declared the 2020 Leafly Strain of the Year, Leafly saw a 140% increase in online orders for Runtz in the first 90 days after the announcement and has continued to see momentum through the year.
Daniel Hendricks, founder of the influential HendRX Nursery in Humboldt County, CA, cannabis breeder and maker of clones for the industry said: “Leafly definitely did give it a lift, making Runtz strain of the year. I referred to it as ‘Strain of the Year’ when I sold it, and people referred to it as they sold it. I just heard about how well Runtz did up and down the industry [in 2021]. I know one farmer who said it was the most productive, fastest thing they sold.”
For additional information on Leafly Strain of the Year and Dosidos origin and experience, visit Leafly.com.
Cannabis discovery marketplace Leafly aims to help more than 125 million visitors discover cannabis this year. Our powerful ecommerce tools help shoppers make informed purchase decisions and empower cannabis businesses to attract and retain loyal customers through advertising and technology services. Learn more at Leafly.com or download the Leafly mobile app through Apple’s App Store or Google Play.
Where to Buy Cannabis Seeds Online: 5 Best Seed Banks to Order Marijuana Seeds in the USA
This makes it difficult to find a reliable, high-quality seed bank in the United States, depending on an individual’s residing state.
The purpose of this review is to lay out the details of the top seed banks online.
How the Seed Banks Were Evaluated:
- Discussion with experts – Interviews and conversation with marijuana growers who order their seeds online.
- Website comparison – In-depth compare and contrast of online seed banks, evaluating delivery, strains, customer service, and more.
Top 5 Seed Banks Online
Below is a detailed list of the 5 best seed banks that will ship to the USA.
1. ILGM (I Love Growing Marijuana) – Best overall, most reliable
Robert Bergman is the founder of ILGM, which he started in 2012. He has more than 25 years of experience in the field and has learned many tips and tricks along the way.
Over time, his site has become one of the most trusted locations worldwide for Americans and Europeans buying marijuana seeds. There is an average delivery time of 10 days.
One thing that stands out about this site is the number of options and categories for all types of growers. On the main menu, consumers choose from beginner seeds, auto flowers, feminized seeds, medical seeds, mixed packs, grow kits, special deals, and seed-growing nutrients. All their seeds come with a germination guarantee and are authentic strains.
Also on offer are seeds for warm and cool climates, outdoor and indoor growing, high CBD, high yielding, high THC concentration, and more. Included in the top strains on offer are Blueberry Autoflower, Bergman’s Gold Leaf, Gorilla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies Extreme, and White Widow.
Also available are multiple purchase methods including credit and debit cards, bank deposits and transfers, and Bitcoin. Standard shipping is free, and tracked shipping costs $25.
and promotions every month
- Reputable company with a high rating
- Money-back guarantee, and no dud seeds
- Packaging is discreet
- Free shipping to the US and Europe
- Sells the best-known strains
- Large variety of products
- Growing guidebook and round-the-clock support
- Not available in certain states
- Tracking delivery costs $25
2. Crop King Seeds – Great variety of strains
This seed site is easy to use and offers loads of choices, from different seed types to germination guides. It is the perfect place to shop for beginner growers. Choose from high CBD strains, autoflower options, and more.
On the site, the company has a regulated review system with a structure worked into the database that does not allow for biased or paid reviewers to comment. This five-crown rating offers useful feedback from regular clients.
Use the filters when shopping to help narrow down which products are best. Regular shipping costs $10, express shipping is available at $30, and shipping is free on orders of over $300.
- Free shipping on orders over $300
- Germination rate of 80 percent
- Special ranking and feedback system
- Germination guide
- THC-CBD infographics
- Standard $10 delivery fee
- One to two-week shipping time
- Website is pretty basic, geared towards beginners only
3. Rocket Seeds – Best for discreet packaging and shipping
This Dutch company has been in business for over 20 years and sells a variety of seeds from feminized to outdoor, indoor, autoflowering, and more. They are known for their discreet shipping, where seeds are stored in random objects for confidentiality.
The website offers an entertaining quiz for consumers to find the best seeds for them. It includes details like weed preference and growing conditions. Not only is it a fun feature, but the quiz also helps beginners choose their seeds wisely.
Germination rate with MSNL is 90 percent, and all seeds are hand-checked by their Amsterdam-based staff. They stock all the major brands including Northern lights, Buddha, and White Widow. Each new order comes with a free surprise such as seeds and other products.
Delivery is free for bulk orders, while standard shipping is around $6.25. It normally takes around one to two weeks. Payment options include check, Bitcoin, bank wire, cash, debit and credit cards. Bitcoin users receive a 15 percent discount.
- Stealth shipping
- 15 percent discount for Bitcoin orders
- High reputation since 1999
- Fun quiz for choosing seeds
- Cannabis Cup and High Times Cup award winners
- Different shipping options available
- Free seeds with new orders
- Wide variety of products
- International shipping is very slow
- Only bulk deliveries get free shipping
- Charts for seed strains are confusing
4. Seedsman – Best for specialized strains
This site is geared to users with experience and is one of the most trusted companies that ships to the US. Each year, growers can submit their crops in photo form to the “Photo Cup” competition.
Seedsman offers an enormous amount of licensed breeders, all listed in alphabetical order. For those on the lookout for a specific big-name breeder, Seedsman probably has it. Popular strains available include Sour Diesel, Skunk, and White Widow, along with a great selection of autoflowering and feminized seeds.
The company stocks specific categories and many award-winning seeds, including products for growing at high-altitude and mold-resistant strains.
Each purchase comes with free seeds and loyalty points. Two discounts are on offer for Bitcoin users, including 15 percent off with every order and 25 percent for the first purchase. On the downside, the delivery charge and insurance fee cost $8.98 and $9.04, respectively.
- Special discounts for Bitcoin payments
- Loyalty points system
- Organized breeders’ list
- Every order includes free seeds
- Always plenty in stock
- Storage jars, hemp bags, and other accessories available
- Website is full of cheesy ads
- Steep delivery charges and insurance
- Reviews on the site seem biased
5. QCS (Quebec Cannabis Seeds) – Best for experienced growers
QCS has been supplying Canada and the rest of the world with great seeds for two decades, and their website has been active for 15 years. Choose from regular or special edition seeds, outdoor, indoor, feminized, autoflower, and much more.
The website allows for special strain requests that are not listed among the available products. QCS cares about their customers’ safety, too, offering discreet shipping.
Even though the company is Canadian, they accept payments in USD, so there is no need to worry about conversions.
- Discreet name used for credit card purchases
- 20 percent discount for Bitcoin customers
- Decades of experience
- Great variety of seeds available
- Credit card fee of 3.8 percent
- Minimum order of $70
- $10 standard shipping option only
- The website is basic with few additional details
Seed Banks FAQ
Q. How do Seed Banks Work in the USA?
A: Each state has their own laws regarding marijuana seeds, so most seed banks use an old souvenir law to get over the legal hurdles and do their business. As long as the seeds aren’t germinated they are free to mail them to you as a souvenir or for bird food/fish bait. Go to any major seed bank’s website such as ILGM and you will see a disclaimer page that announces this.
Q: Is It Safe to Buy Seeds Online?
A: Because of the many unreliable vendors selling low-quality products, it makes sense to wonder whether it’s safe to order seeds online. Fortunately, there’s minimal risk associated with ordering from online seed banks. Even customs laws shouldn’t be an issue. Some people are concerned that if their order is intercepted, they’ll end up on the law’s wrong side.
However, in most cases, the seeds won’t be detected. To guarantee this, most seed bank companies offer stealth shipping for customers worried about interception. It’s a discreet way of shipping orders where seeds are placed inside some ordinary objects like DVD cases before shipping; hence the package doesn’t raise suspicion.
Despite this, experts still advise customers against requesting expedited delivery or a shipping method that requires a signature. This helps avoid drawing attention to the package or being forced to sign for the delivery.
Individuals should also consider the payment method they’re using. Bitcoin is usually recommended as it’s encrypted and untraceable. Though, customers can choose to pay using credit cards since purchases are insured and protected.
ILGM is undoubtedly the best seed bank out there that offers US shipping. However, every site on this list is thoroughly vetted, high-reputed, and has a lot to offer.